Discuss Putting a Light Switch into a Junction Box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a ceiling rose Mate used as a makeshift JB

That's not a ceiling rose, it's a cheap and nasty joint box.
A ceiling rose doesn't have the cable entry points around the edge, it would have an earth terminal in addition to the three terminals, the middle terminal would have only three screws and there would be some form or restraint for the flex.

That's not a ceiling rose, it's a cheap and nasty joint box.
A ceiling rose doesn't have the cable entry points around the edge, it would have an earth terminal in addition to the three terminals, the middle terminal would have only three screws and there would be some form or restraint for the flex.
Agree my bad
[automerge]1577643922[/automerge]
Agree my bad
you're right though a cheap and nasty JB

Last edited:
The original JB you have quoted is in fact a Ceiling Rose, used as a JB, you are probably looking in the wrong section.
The JB, if it is inaccessible needs to be maintenance free, so your best bet would be to employ an Electrician, messing with this could turn into a disaster.
You haven't read post 22 then Mate

It's a 3 way JB not a 4 way.
There seems to be some bad advice floating about...…..adding a connector......who said that?
Twas me but I think I said in a separate terminal, mot sure now you mention it anyway I was wrong I thought ot was a ceiling rose being used as a JB, so yes bad advice on my part.

Out of interest, why is this JB being called cheap and nasty? It might be, but in the past the MK product had blocks of four screw terminals like so, and was about the most expensive. You could terminate 4x2.5 or even 7/.029 without any concern that one of them might not be clamped, or the grubscrew popping out or going cross-threaded. I liked them.

Out of interest, why is this JB being called cheap and nasty? It might be, but in the past the MK product had blocks of four screw terminals like so, and was about the most expensive. You could terminate 4x2.5 or even 7/.029 without any concern that one of them might not be clamped, or the grubscrew popping out or going cross-threaded. I liked them.

Because my experience of junction boxes that look like that is that they were cheap and nasty B&Q rubbish, when you try to get any sensible torque on the screws the plastic terminal housings come apart.

Reply to Putting a Light Switch into a Junction Box in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net