Currently reading:
New Zealand Replacing existing ceiling lights with down lights?

Discuss Replacing existing ceiling lights with down lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alanmckenzie

Bit of a question here regarding fitting downlights in my hall ceiling. I want to fit one downlight in place of each of the three lights already there. When I remove each existing light fitting from the ceiling, they each unplug from a junction box screwed to the ceiling. Going into each junction box, from the big grey cable in the ceiling are the live, neutral and earth wires. This is all fine, but the terminal block inside the connection box attached to my new down lights only have two terminals, live, and neutral. So what do I do with the earth wire from the ceiling? The new lights are double insulated and so I believe they may not need the earth connection? But if this is the case, again, what do I do with the wire?

Thanks

alan

The downlighters will not need earthing. It is usual to go from the junction box to the light with heat resistant flex. If you get two core then the earth would terminate in the JB and go no further.

The downlighters will not need earthing. It is usual to go from the junction box to the light with heat resistant flex. If you get two core then the earth would terminate in the JB and go no further.

So can I just take the earth wire, fold it back, tape it over, and place it inside the connector box of the new downlights, alongside the terminal box, and just leave it there?

Reply to Replacing existing ceiling lights with down lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back