Discuss Ring spotlight on old house help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Magw1tch

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve purchased a Ring Spotlight camera and decided to remove the old spotlight that’s currently installed on the house we recently purchased. After taking down the old spotlight, I found four wires: black, brown, unsheathed earth, and grey. However, the Ring only has the usual three wires: live, earth, and neutral. Any ideas on how to wire up the Ring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ohh and i cant find a switch for this as someone stated that it may be connected to a switch somewhere

We’re all the cores connected before, or was one unused?

It used to be that you took a live, a switched live and a neutral (ignoring the earth, as it’s the obvious one)
The live powered the sensor part of a light with PIR, and the switched live was connected on the line between the sensor and the light part as an over ride function.

Nowadays, the sensors are overridden by turning the switch on-off-on quickly… only needs the L and N.

Standard, the brown is usually the permanent live, the black is the switches live(should be identified … normally with brown sleeving or tape) and the grey is neutral.

I say usually, but there was and still is a times when the black is neutral and the grey is switched live… It just depends who did the work in the first place.

The earth should also be sleeved in green and yellow…

There must be a switch for it somewhere… is there a switched fuse plate next to a socket perhaps?
It’s not necessarily supplied from a lighting circuit.

A quick word on safety. Isolate at the consumer unit… especially if you can’t turn it off

I did take this picture before of the wiring in the spotlight if that helps. The earth is bottom right I cut this to get the sleeve off to put onto the new wire

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 9

Reply to Ring spotlight on old house help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net