Search the forum,

Discuss Work in Australia in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys how we all doing.
I’m seriously thinking of moving me and the family to Australia but don’t know how to go about it.
I have my electrical certs and my partner has a degree in phsycology.
But what do we need to qualify to live and work in Australia.

Many thanks guys
Joe joe

Hi Joe Joe
I'm from Glasgow originally. Finished my apprenticeship in 1977 with "Glasgow Corpy".Attained City and Guilds of London Course B with credit .
Worked Industrial and High Rise construction mostly till 1981 had to join the dole queue thanks to the halt in projects then.
Applied for Australia in the time I was jobless but was told " not looking for Electrical tradesman" at that time.
Scored a job in South Africa with the SASOL group for 6 months through the old Haigh and Ringrose group.
Got back to Scotland in April 82 but couldn't get house sold till November 82.
Luckily within that time I was accepted for immigration for Australia, so got here 1983 . I later found out they do different group selection every 3 months for different folks like lawyer and doctors.

The apprenticeship system here is just not producing enough Electrical tradesman .
If you are fully qualified in all facets you should hunt out Power Supply Authority groups , Industrial, Solar ,city type construction groups and of course housing.
There is a MASSIVE shortage of tradies here looks like there always will be.
Good luck mate.

First question: how old are you? If you're under 46 then you're eligible for a sponsored visa. If you're older than that, then this is an altogether more tricky prospect.

How it works is that there's no direct correlation any more between UK quals and Australian. You have to do an intensive week-ish long training/assessment in the UK which is basically described as year 3 / AM2 condensed into a few days. Once you've got that, then (assuming you've arranged a sponsored visa) you can get on a plane. Once there, you then have to spend at least six months working under another licensed contractor to train and vouch for you before you can apply for a state electrical licence.

Reply to Work in Australia in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net