Discuss Can’t figure out how to repair this light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Sorry no photos, but I’ll explain best I can.

Turn on the switch, I’m not getting any light.
Apparently a new fitting.

Description…. A white circular base screwed up to the ceiling, then a much thinner white flexible part… then another part at the bottom.

Inside this bottom part is two metal fixtures… that feel a little springy. Now when I touch this I got a little tingle and it tripped the rcd… I wonder if there’s something wrong with it?

Is there a driver needed? Or a part missing?

I’m truly stumped on this.

I have known this happen before.

Normally it is because the fitting has not been used for a long time or it is old stock.

The small metal parts you refer to as being a little bit springy have dried out and are no longer conducive.

Easy fix,
Step 1
Find a step ladder that almost reaches the ceiling

Step 2
turn on the rcd that tripped earlier and ensure light switch is turned on.

Step 3
This can be a little difficult but using the ladder for access, gently lick the 2 springy bits to moisten them.

If everything has gone to plan, you should now be lay on your back, looking up at the light, possibly even gently floating towards it.

Have you tried tapping the fitting with a glass hammer. I have found these fittings suspended on skyhooks before now and they just dont hang right and cause the giggling pin to seize.

Reply to Can’t figure out how to repair this light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Summary (TL;DR) Several lightbulbs in my home supplied by one circuit breaker dim over time and go out in about a year. Right now, the ceiling...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just joined the forum, have a weird problem, wondering if I could get some ideas. We built our house about 6 years ago. The downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi All! I’m a hobbyist, but fairly skilled. I recently wired up a high end theater in my home, various new circuits, light fixtures, switches...
Replies
Views
I recently picked up this Michelob rotating light that apparently had been dropped. The top disk insert (where the hanging hook would be) was...
Replies
Views
Thank you in advance for your help. I recently purchased a home and while removing some built-ins I found that they had a 14/2 wire running...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock