Search the forum,

Discuss Class II fitting modified by Electrician in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But they haven't made it Class I, their failure to install correctly has compromised it's Class II protection. For it to become Class I they would have to certify it as such.
Oh yes… what he did was way off, but he didn’t even attempt to earth it…. And if he had, it would still be wrong… but at least a little safer.

Thanks all. The owner is coming out on Friday to review the situation, we have quite a few other issues with the install outside of the light fiasco, so it will be interesting to see what he says.

Other issues?

Anything you wish to divulge further?
He damaged the extractor fan when putting it up because he forced it when he couldn't get the clips to line up, the housing is chewed up and the bearing is out, so the whole thing vibrates. He also wired the earth into the switched live terminal for the boost (it's marked T so maybe he thought Terre? No clue).

He left about 1m slack on the flex running from the built-in cooker hood to the isolator, and fed that cable through the 150mm hole cut in the top box for the ducting instead of the hole drilled in the back corner for the cable. Not a massive deal, will take a few minutes to redo but I shouldn't have to.

He unilaterally decided to change a socket position from down the side of the fridge to in a wall cabinet. We explained to him well in advance that there would be a ~100mm gap that might be hard to work in, so maybe do that that socket on the first fix. We also then said we could pull the fridge cabinet out to give him space to work when he came back (we left it attached with only 2 screws because we were pretty sure it was going to need to come out). Apparently his solution was to move a socket meant for a vacuum cleaner into a cupboard at eye height.

And just in general, everything is wonky. Extractor fan, every isolator, almost every socket. Only by a little bit but it's just sloppy.

He damaged the extractor fan when putting it up because he forced it when he couldn't get the clips to line up, the housing is chewed up and the bearing is out, so the whole thing vibrates. He also wired the earth into the switched live terminal for the boost (it's marked T so maybe he thought Terre? No clue).

He left about 1m slack on the flex running from the built-in cooker hood to the isolator, and fed that cable through the 150mm hole cut in the top box for the ducting instead of the hole drilled in the back corner for the cable. Not a massive deal, will take a few minutes to redo but I shouldn't have to.

He unilaterally decided to change a socket position from down the side of the fridge to in a wall cabinet. We explained to him well in advance that there would be a ~100mm gap that might be hard to work in, so maybe do that that socket on the first fix. We also then said we could pull the fridge cabinet out to give him space to work when he came back (we left it attached with only 2 screws because we were pretty sure it was going to need to come out). Apparently his solution was to move a socket meant for a vacuum cleaner into a cupboard at eye height.

And just in general, everything is wonky. Extractor fan, every isolator, almost every socket. Only by a little bit but it's just sloppy.
Sounds like you could have accomplished it yourself.

It’s good that you know when it’s not right.

And you also know how bad some sparks are, although maybe compliant the work is just a mess

It’s sometimes very difficult to do a job that you are 100% happy with there is always something.

You usually find that not taking your time and thinking about about stuff ends up taking more time and effort.

Last edited:

Reply to Class II fitting modified by Electrician in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net