Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you saying that it's not available, in spite of the sticker?
No idea if it’s available or not. 🤷🏼‍♂️ They stated the property is not PME and is on TT according to their records. There is no earth in that cutout and one has never been connected

I’d guess the sticker is on all the cutouts regardless and doesn’t determine anything as it states if all the conditions aren’t met then don’t connect the earth to that terminal.

Maybe they’re supposed to pull them off but they probably expect an electrician and anyone authorised to work on the cutout to know what they’re looking at.

It's probably available, and the sticker should be there in case circumstances change and the requirements for TNC-S can be met.
I've had to TT supplies brought into a few ramshackle corrugated iron clad farm buildings, where sheets are in contact with the ground and bonding requirements are impossible to meet.

I've always taken that notice to mean "PME is possible, but make sure our side of things comply".
Not saying I'm definitely right but they do have another sticker design saying "No earth provided, the earthing type is TT" or words to that effect.
(I've apparently only got a bad photo of one which you can't read!)
1686601622158.png

So do we think that whoever fitted the EV point removed the PME and did the crappy TT?
I did suspect that, but he says there's never been an earth connection, i.e. the knockout isn't knocked out.
So I'll have to look for somewhere else to be cynical tonight.

No idea if it’s available or not. 🤷🏼‍♂️ They stated the property is not PME and is on TT according to their records. There is no earth in that cutout and one has never been connected

I’d guess the sticker is on all the cutouts regardless and doesn’t determine anything as it states if all the conditions aren’t met then don’t connect the earth to that terminal.

Maybe they’re supposed to pull them off but they probably expect an electrician and anyone authorised to work on the cutout to know what they’re looking at.
No they apply the stickers individually when fitting cutouts and will fit the appropriate one, have you done a Ze to the terminal under the blanking grommet ?

No they apply the stickers individually when fitting cutouts and will fit the appropriate one, have you done a Ze to the terminal under the blanking grommet ?

No I didn’t as it hasn’t ever had one connected. So didn’t touch anything on the cutout.

I’ll be back there in August as they want a circuit running for aircon. So will have a look then. But odd that the DNO didn’t mention it was available. They just said their records show it’s TT. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Only other thing I can think is they never connected one as there’s quite a decent solar and battery setup (in terms of generation and storage) so maybe they did it to go full island mode and not rely on the distributor earth. But that’s just a pluck out of thin air guess.

Anyway, well done on the earth rods!
It's not your fault if you got someone following company policy to deny all existence of ever having provided an earth to anything, anywhere. They once told me that a lead cable that had a damaged braid hanging off it had never been TNS. Thanks to this forum I had the reply ready. "Ok, no problem, but I'm sure you'll agree that it's extraneous and needs bonding....". Long silence. Then "We'll send someone out".

I once had SSEN tell me that a property I was at wasn’t 3ph. Despite that fact that I was staring at a 3ph service head, 3 lives and a neutral coming out and a 3ph meter with a CU on each phase. When they eventually did send someone out as 2 of the phases had no power, they agreed it was 3ph. Then they found damage to 2 of the phases at the transformer. 🙄

Not all '3Ph' heads have 3 phase supplies. I know of several, including one of my own, with 230V with respect to neutral, on two of the fuses, but with 460V between them, and I know of one where two of the fuses are live, but are both connected to the same single phase.

We have just had another supply put in, 2 phase, no earth connection supplied.

Phoned Dno to see if they would allow TN, they refused connection, which doesn't make sense as all the other cottages are Tn.

A real pain for me as there are a few sub-mains battery-solar, cottage, stable, workshop and a large bio mass system.

That isn't an argument cpcs connect initially to the accessory.
You could over extend the cpc and loop it through the lug to the accessory so initially connecting to the back box first but would have thought is fine.

Last edited:
Only other thing I can think is they never connected one as there’s quite a decent solar and battery setup (in terms of generation and storage) so maybe they did it to go full island mode and not rely on the distributor earth. But that’s just a pluck out of thin air guess.
To run in island mode (or any other backup power supply) requires you to have your own means of earthing, but that can be in addition to any DNO earth.

Obviously supply has to be disconnected in such modes!

I guess it might have been a TT system before the new cutout was installed and so the DNO simply left it?

No I didn’t as it hasn’t ever had one connected. So didn’t touch anything on the cutout.

I’ll be back there in August as they want a circuit running for aircon. So will have a look then. But odd that the DNO didn’t mention it was available. They just said their records show it’s TT. 🤷🏼‍♂️

With a TNCS the supplier never connects a main earth conductor, that's down to us - they provide the terminal only.
I'd be tempted to arrange a quick visit from the seal fairy and have a little peek inside to see if there's a N-E link or one piece N & E block. I'd bet there is. :)

With a TNCS the supplier never connects a main earth conductor, that's down to us - they provide the terminal only.
I'd be tempted to arrange a quick visit from the seal fairy and have a little peek inside to see if there's a N-E link or one piece N & E block. I'd bet there is. :)
I'm back in Aug anyway to do an Aircon circuit for them, so will have a look then. Just need to chat with the seal fairy...

I'm the fall guy again. We do a fair bit of work for a property company, insurance work and such like and they have a few different teams as they are quite busy. I get a phone call "can I pop round to a job in the morning (done by the other team), the joiner cant find the cables for two heaters and handover is at the end of the day, spark broke his leg apparently

Bear with me, this will be a long one.

sodding electratech system, not messed with one for years. (my wagos trying to make sense of it.
IMG_20230602_161359_513.jpg

First problem, newly decorated flat with 2 storage heaters removed for the renovation (flood I think) still all in one piece and full of bricks, they now look like they have been dropped out of a 1st floor window. No spur, and no cable so its saw time.
IMG_20230602_101401_405.jpg

IMG_20230602_101756_316.jpg
IMG_20230602_101805_483.jpg

Nice live wires in the wall, certainly at night anyway.

Dismantle them ,try and straighten them out, re fit them an power them up only for the manager to say we cant leave them in I'll get two new panel heaters.

Then we find the towel radiator for the bathroom still in the bedroom, again no power, no outlet for it and its broke. (no pictures but I had to wire a new supply for a new towel rad as well so more holes) and convert to 24hr power etc.

Next up as I'd messed around with the electratech system I thought I'd make sure the hot water still works for when they move back in. Couldn't get power to the two immersions no matter what I did so removed one of the switches.
IMG_20230605_102152_827.jpg

Apart from the fact the earth is in the neutral terminal where are the immersion cables, snipped off and curled up in the loft, that's where. more problems.

Shower lid.
IMG_20230602_152053_042.jpg

As well as a badly fitting lid, new 6mm supply and no RCD, no RCD for new hob supply either.

Not over yet - finds out the fridge socket is dead, I suspect it is the old kitchen storage heater supply but I cant get it powered up no matter what I do so I have to wire a new one. Take the kitchen plinth off to see if I can fish it anywhere without more damage and find this.
IMG_20230605_135126_255.jpg

I sort of gave up at that point, couldn't reach it to do anything with it, job was 40 miles from home and everyone else had already gone back home so I just put the plinth back and convinced myself I'd never seen it.

Not sure what had gone wrong with that job really, was the spark that bad or have the other trades screwed him over, they do like to mess with stuff they shouldn't. I dread to think what else there is in that tiny 1 bed bungalow.

What I did in the end was what I could, no chance of getting merlin stuff on a friday afternoon so I had to fly to toolstatioin and buy a couple of garage units and pinch the RCD's MCB's out of them. I managed to at least make it safe(ish) if not compliant, I ditched the electratech system altogether, there wasn't a control panel for it in the flat anywhere anyway, probbly been snipped off and binned.

IMG_20230605_151231_579.jpg

I've saved the best until last as well (no picture unfortunately) Bearing in mind all this work, complete property renovation, client put in hotel etc was all caused by a water leak, and when I was in the loft messing with the immersions there was a bit of water dripping from the tank area, the 20mm overflow pipe from the cistern tank hadn't been glued into the elbow and it had fallen off. Tradesmen, you just cant get a decent one anymore.

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock