Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gone back to using my old crimping tool as these are useless
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 9.23.10 am.jpg

Did you change it to a 13A, or just done away with it?

Rest of the house of a similar vintage?

Chopped in a few boxes which will be supplied by a new circuit.

I suspect a few parts are still wired in rubber, but most has been replaced.

NBD you have touched it now you are going to have to price to Re-wire the entire Gaff

Radial serving that single socket in that single room.

Looks like the insulation is fallen off that vir

Not enough on the floor to cover the neutral, but it was well separated from the line in that old socket..

Its amazong how much of this rubber cable I still come across that is still in service , its fine until you touch it then it just crumbles in your fingers.

Its amazong how much of this rubber cable I still come across that is still in service , its fine until you touch it then it just crumbles in your fingers.

Run from the board was fine and perfectly supple and I didn't expect it to be so bad at the socket. I've seen it crumble before, but this stuff was as hard and brittle as plastic where it had fallen apart.

Run from the board was fine and perfectly supple and I didn't expect it to be so bad at the socket. I've seen it crumble before, but this stuff was as hard and brittle as plastic where it had fallen apart.
In my experience with VIR it aways crumbles at the end where accessories are connected to it, heat does not help, but the material will just degrade naturally over decades of time.

In my experience with VIR it aways crumbles at the end where accessories are connected to it, heat does not help, but the material will just degrade naturally over decades of time.
I am way to young to have installed rubber twin cable , what sort of age are we looking at now. some of this cable must be pushing 80 - 90 years old and still in service in thousands of homes

I am way to young to have installed rubber twin cable , what sort of age are we looking at now. some of this cable must be pushing 80 - 90 years old and still in service in thousands of homes
VIR singles were used in domestic homes 1910 to the 1950,s possibly 113 years if still in service

Last edited:
They reckoned that house was originally wired in the 50s. Probably about the same age as any I've seen - not sure that many houses around here had electricity before then.

That socket was wired in flat 2 core cable, although lighting to room below is still insulated & sheathed rubber singles.
Yeah saw that, was dating the VIR singles because I know it was used in the early 1900s, dont think the flat twin was that early not sure. Defiantly used in the 50s as you know I would guess 1930 only because have rewired houses of that era with that type of cable.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock