Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

5 amp lighting fuse had four wires.
1 - every light in house (IR of zero)
2 - not identified (IR of >299M)
3 - smokes (IR of >299M)
4 - outside light.

Every pendant had a hidden junction box above it so I was looking for an easy place to break the circuit.
First floor board I pull up:

1677329005279.png

Oh great.. every fitting probably like this, and separating them didn't improve IR.
Obviously I wasn't going to leave it like that, so I did my own dodgy contribution as I'd run out of cable ties. I felt it was in keeping with the rest of the house.
1677329216952.png

Taking down a temporary power feed this morning. had been working perfectly well, last used Thursday I think. Decided to see how dry the Wago box was, lost quite a bit of water before getting this far:
water-in-wagobox.jpg

Yup, the lower half (as it sat dangling from the 3 core) was ice and the rest water. I am surprised it didn't trip the RCD, maybe the water was relatively pure?

Taking down a temporary power feed this morning. had been working perfectly well, last used Thursday I think. Decided to see how dry the Wago box was, lost quite a bit of water before getting this far:
View attachment 106453
Yup, the lower half (as it sat dangling from the 3 core) was ice and the rest water. I am surprised it didn't trip the RCD, maybe the water was relatively pure?

Presumably wicked down along the earth wire.

Taking down a temporary power feed this morning. had been working perfectly well, last used Thursday I think. Decided to see how dry the Wago box was, lost quite a bit of water before getting this far.
Can't remember if I posted this, but you wouldn't have had the issue had you followed this exemplarily method of working:
1677525788854.png

View attachment 106453
I dont think the membrane seal is intended to seal when you poke a hole in it like that.
a suitable compression gland would have probably done much better.
p.s. the glands need to be done up correctly with a spanner, hand tight will not provide a good seal.

View attachment 106453
In fairness I thought that ice was what was left of the gel😂😂😂
It looks like a Wiska Box rather than a Wago Box though, and I've never seen water in (or ice) in one of those before, but never seen one done quite like that either.

As above, if it was buzzzzzzzing, i would Wasp the F out of there.

some interesting collection of wire types and not quite perfect terminations.

As above, if it was buzzzzzzzing, i would Wasp the F out of there.

some interesting collection of wire types and not quite perfect terminations.
The house is full of weird and wonderful wiring. It was functional with a working RCD upfront but that was probably to do with nothing being earthed.

Had a regular customer in a semi detached house, with a simple pyramid shaped roof covering both properties.
About 15 minutes after turning the loft light on, there would be two or three hornets buzzing around it, just two or three, never any more. Looked into every corner many times, and never saw any signs of a nest, or any other clue as to where they were coming from.
Was like this, every time, over a period of about 20 years.

I worked in a local village hall a couple years ago.... stuck my head up the attic hatch, pulling cables from the higher roofspace above the actual hall.... working away quite happily.... then i turned around.....

Bloody wasp nest, 2 foot in diameter!.... 2 FOOT!!!!

F**king hate wasps..... nasty little beasties.
Not too keen on them myself.
They set up camp inside the solid stone wall of my living room a few years ago, getting in and out through failed pointing in multiple places. A complete can of expanding foam into the wall dealt with them.
They weren't too happy about that and went on the attack, but they don't fly too well with a lump of rapidly expanding and hardening foam on their backs.

i think i maybe did!

F**king hate wasps..... nasty little beasties.
I keep a spray can of wasp killer in my van for such eventualities

Washing up liquid kills them on contact. Spray bottle with a fairly strong solution of it will sort them in no time, without lasting impact on your lungs or expanding foam stuck to everything.

I didn't believe this would work until they decided to begin nesting in our bin - huge swarm neutralised in a couple of minutes.

Had to deal with these bees, at least it was outside, but had to open the window to unlatch the shutters, I found that the Hornets tend to leave you alone if you don't wave your arms around, they where quite happy buzzing around me whilst I was re-pointing the chimney.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_THUMB_43B.jpeg

Washing up liquid kills them on contact. Spray bottle with a fairly strong solution of it will sort them in no time, without lasting impact on your lungs or expanding foam stuck to everything.

I didn't believe this would work until they decided to begin nesting in our bin - huge swarm neutralised in a couple of minutes.
Scairy Liquid......to the wasps, then?

Wow, you'd expect them to be sorting that out for free as it's their equipment and well past its sell by date !
They'd change the head for free if they'd installed the earth - they clearly hadn't - or someone needed to pull the fuse - like a meter change. But the fee is for providing a PME earth, and fitting an isolator. The head - and the associated work, like digging a hole in the client's front garden - is effectively free

They'd change the head for free if they'd installed the earth - they clearly hadn't - or someone needed to pull the fuse - like a meter change. But the fee is for providing a PME earth, and fitting an isolator. The head - and the associated work, like digging a hole in the client's front garden - is effectively free
Not a bad deal in the grand scheme of things

Today's fun and games. A few interesting period features and no shortage of eyebrow raisers.

1677855739127.jpeg

1677855789362.jpeg

My immediate suspicion about Neutral no 1 was correct:
1677855836765.jpeg

The lighting in double insulated 1-core had more recent CPC's added, and upstairs just about checked out.
Downstairs didn't - only the hall and lobby was giving an R1+R2. All other downstairs lighting had such a large induced voltage (27v) on the separate CPC that the the tester refused to do a continuity test, so there's a missing or broken link. This was also leading to interesting flashing effects of LED bulbs when turned off, lasting minutes in some cases.

Today's fun and games. A few interesting period features and no shortage of eyebrow raisers.

View attachment 106532
View attachment 106533
View attachment 106534

The lighting in double insulated 1-core had more recent CPC's added, and upstairs just about checked out.
Downstairs didn't - only the hall and lobby was giving an R1+R2. All other downstairs lighting had such a large induced voltage (27v) on the separate CPC that the the tester refused to do a continuity test, so there's a missing or broken link. This was also leading to interesting flashing effects of LED bulbs when turned off, lasting minutes in some cases.

What's the white box before the meter?

View attachment 106532
View attachment 106533
View attachment 106534

Is it badly fitted over the top of an older recessed board?

This is one of several properties on the same private estate, There is a substation on site and upstream distribution boards.
It's just an enclosure where the distribution circuit's SWA is badly terminated and the cores pass right through to the meter!
It looks to me like either the owner or Mr do it all has done that work.

Is it badly fitted over the top of an older recessed board?
Yes. It looks like they put in a new kitchen ring when they changed the board, as all other circuits are stranded zinc plated copper.
It looks to me like either the owner or Mr do it all has done that work.
"Mr do it all" who was employed by the owner has just retired after many years tinkering with this installation. After a quick look around I've politely declined to touch anything until the relevant part of the installation has had an 100% EICR. This one was consumer unit 3 out of 12 that are for living accommodation (which we agreed to do first). There are a further 3 identical properties to look forward to!

That's strange because for something so non-compliant it's actually pretty neatly done - the 90 degree bend on the T&E where it goes vertical is very nicely done for example.
I've since wondered whether the switchgear changed and the old arrangement had provision for the lighting circuit.
I need to go back here to take lots of photo's, there's a large transformer / rectifier for a pipe organ below the switched fuse. Behind the photo is the bell rope and a vintage (long broken) electronic bell so someone the other end of the church could signal when to start and stop ringing.

I’m getting itchy just looking at those loft pictures.

8.5kW…. What would you say that supply cable size is? I don’t think it’s 6mm from the photo
My hands were itching for a while after. It is 6mm. I traced the route all the way from the CU to the shower point as I needed to check nothing else had been added to circuit in a random junction box somewhere.

Last edited:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back