Search the forum,

Discuss Have you ever / would you ever; Work for an Electrical Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Have you every / would you every work for an Electrical Supplier?

• Total voters

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for an Electrical Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME!

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK, WHATSAPP, FACEBOOK GROUPS, OTHER FORUMS ETC WE WILL BE PUSHING THIS HARD FOR A FEW MONTHS.

Please join in and help make the thread have lots of long decent posts in them. It'll really help the forum out.

LOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING ICON IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF EACH POst
1715031709392.png

I will telly you a funny story about me getting a job at a tile manufacturers that will make you pee your pants. - Someone hold me to this I will forget.

TL;DR
Let's see if we can make this a massive poll and discussion. This could be interesting. Please all join in. Feel free to make it a fantasy if needs be. :) Have fun. p.s. You can change your vote over time.
Last edited:
I worked for the one with three letters on its branding. This was for about a year after finishing my apprenticeship, completely by accident I might add!
Just fancied something different, job came up in there and I thought why not.
Gave me a good Insite into the game and manufacturing side of some of their products.
Wasn't long before I missed being on the tools though, only a couple of months. But I stuck at if for a few more before a customer convinced me to work for them and that was that.

I spent 41 years in the theoretical rather than the practical side of electrics. I'm retired now, but if things had worked out differently I think I'd have enjoyed work in a trade counter sort of a place.

Perhaps it's genetic? :) My dad's dad had two shops, which my dad inherited. One of my brothers ran a bicycle shop, the other worked at a couple of car accessory trade counters and I used to voluntarily help a mate out lugging stock up and down stairs at his little shop.

I remember some amazing electrical / electronic shops in London around the Edgware Road area back in the early 80s, always though it would be fantastic to work among all of that stuff. However, most of the staff looked like they had worked there since the 1930s and last time I was in that area not only have all such shops closed, but half of the buildings have been knocked down and redeveloped.

Ah,.... Henry's Radio etc.? Unfortunately I never got to go round that area, but I used to gaze at the adverts in the magazines longingly. :) At the time I was slowly moving from radio to computers, building a Nascom-1 in the process. (Am I allowed a plug for my web site? www.nascom.info). Sorry, it's a bit off-topic. :)

Ahh. here it is.....
I saw this poll come through on the messages last night... but now closed for replies...
Dan must have decided to put it in the forums threads instead....

I have never worked for a wholesaler type place..... Took up a sparky apprenticeship when i left school.... However, a lot of my time was spent in the stores, down to not have much work on. It did give me an insight into the product numbers rather than descriptions, a good eye for how much cable was left on a drum and keeping an organised shelving system.... (although, looking at my van now, i seemed to have forgotten that)

My 10 years out of the business had me on a caravan park... dealing with stock levels of a beverages for the bar, temporary staffing, and selling new "Holiday Homes" up to the £40k range

Back on the tools now, Its buying if and when i need to.... and always looking out for a good deal.

Reply to Have you ever / would you ever; Work for an Electrical Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net