Currently reading:
Just floodwire CAT6?

Discuss Just floodwire CAT6? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Chaps, I've been asked to put Sky in multiple rooms of a house we're re-wiring.

For future-proofness am I best just floodwiring it with CAT6 cabling back to a central location? Would that give him all options - be it SKY HD to each room or FreeSat to each room or Squeezbox etc etc.

He's dilly dallying a little so I'm really looking for a solution he can adapt to whatever he wants it to be in the future.

Is there anything he couldn't transmit over CAT6??

First fix is next week!

Thanks

CAT6 is a data cable normally used for IT networks, you should be running SAT 100 cable or even RG59, you would only need to run 1 cable from each point back to a central location where there would be a distribution box, from any point where you think that the sky box may be situated ie living room, run 2 cables back to the distribution box, or just to be sure run 2 cables from each point back to the distribution box, marked up of course.

Thanks Simlec.

I didn't realise I could run RF over CAT6 - I've just put 4 CAT6 and and RF at each 'TV point'. Plan on putting in a HDMI matrix with the CAT6 baluns

Must search for an RF to CAT6 converter..

I used cat6 due to the fact fibre is about now and that will kill your network IF your cat5e can not run at 1gbit. I had this problem 3 runs were cat5e but would not push a gbit, just 100mps the other 9 cat5e would. But changed the lot to cat6 and upgraded the netgear hub to 1000mbs 1gbit. Now every media player (6 in total) can stream via network or internet and by download will stay at 80mb on my server or any other pc whilst that is happening. Prior to that, the network would kill the net download just because the capacity was not enough (or vice-versa depending on how I wanted to set it up). Cat5e can run at 1gbit its just I find if you are buying cables and not buying cable and crimping yourself, the cheap stuff can be hit n miss.

Reply to Just floodwire CAT6? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock