Discuss RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Westward 10 mentioned 12 way busbar and thats what my electrican thought as well but it didn't fit. 15 way busbar was too big he said. He would not have changed just 4 RCBOS on the left, he said he was going to change to 6 x RCBOs by taking out the two RCDs on the right and the RCCBs so leaving just the main switch as is and 6 x RCBOs as there is a chance of tripping he said if the RCDs were left however the plan didn't work which is a shame as I was hoping to avoid disturbing the walls so next week it will be the Fusebox F2020MX board with the mounting frame installation.
Why wouldn't he change the four on the left seems the most obvious thing to do. You cannot remove the existing RCD just leave it.

Hi,

I recently had an EICR done at my property which unfortunately was unsatisfactory. So the electrican advised a new fuseboard from BG General or Fusebox
This has bothered me a bit Dean, why was the installation unsatisfactory? I generally am interested in why, can you take some pictures of the report and upload it as I like to know these things, lol yes I am a bit nosy

Why wouldn't he change the four on the left seems the most obvious thing to do. You cannot remove the existing RCD just leave it.

He advised everything needs to be taken out so that we have 6 - RCBOS and just main switch. The explanation that was given to me is that you can't have 4 - RCBOs and those current existing 2 RCDs for the sockets on the right due to increased risk of tripping. I don't know if that is true but thats what he advised and plus we still have the issue with the new bus bar not fitting current board. A new one won't fit and presumably the current existing bus bar can't be used for installing new RCBOs as a new 12 way one was advised but unfortunately didn't fit.

Do you have any tripping problems at the moment?

If there is currently no tripping problem then replacing the first 4 MCBs with RCBOs will not change this. The chance of nuisance tripping after this work will be exactly the same as it is before.

No tripping issues with current board. But we still have the issue with the new 12 way crabtree bus bar as it didn't fit the board and new RCBOs can't be installed on existing current bus bar.

This has bothered me a bit Dean, why was the installation unsatisfactory? I generally am interested in why, can you take some pictures of the report and upload it as I like to know these things, lol yes I am a bit nosy

No protection on the first four MCBs, plastic unit (front cover lid) and no SPD from what I recall.

He advised everything needs to be taken out so that we have 6 - RCBOS and just main switch. The explanation that was given to me is that you can't have 4 - RCBOs and those current existing 2 RCDs for the sockets on the right due to increased risk of tripping. I don't know if that is true but thats what he advised and plus we still have the issue with the new bus bar not fitting current board. A new one won't fit and presumably the current existing bus bar can't be used for installing new RCBOs as a new 12 way one was advised but unfortunately didn't fit.
Nothing physically needs changing. Starbreaker compact RCBOs will directly fit. Replace the four left side mcbs with RCBOs and move the right two to the two left side spare ways, the latter may not be necessary but it will take the type AC RCD out of the equation. The solution is so simple I cannot understand why they cannot see it.

No protection on the first four MCBs, plastic unit (front cover lid) and no SPD from what I recall.

Replace first four MCBs with RCBO's.

The plastic front cover will be a recommendation for improvement and does not prevent a satisfactory report. As long as all terminals are correctly tightened this will be perfectly safe.

SPD is, again, only a recommendation. Lack of an SPD cannot prevent you getting a satisfactory report.

Yes they can, the busbar hasn't changed, new RCBOs can be installed to replace the first four MCBs.

I will speak to him today whether he can do this. He may not like the idea that I am reading things from the internet (some builders get defensive as they think I'm educating them with things when they supposedly know best). I think the removal of the 2 RCDs on the right was also due to the fact that I am renting the property which I think was also one of the reasons it was advised to me to have it removed and change to all 6 RCBOs and to take out the RCCB and the big breaker with the yellow button on it as well along with the busbar issue but I will speak to him again.

You are letting a builder do this?
The solution is so obvious fit six RCBOs to the left for all circuits. Is the reason they did not fit is because they were not Starbreaker RCBOs?

Apologises, by builder I mean electrician as on mybuilder.com they class electrician as builders in one of their categories. My electrican has advised he can't change the RCBOs as the front lid is plastic and SPD required so won't pass EICR. To be honest quite a few electricians have said this and I don't know the reason why. I have with the little knowledge that I have these should be C3s as mine is in good condition, installed in the lounge in open space. I guess some are not making much money from this so just advise new fuse board £600-£700 of work. He said if I can find a metal fronnt lid measuring 365mm by 220mm height, he can then pass EICR with the RCBOs. Problem is none available from ebay or otherwise.

I will need to look at another electrician for sure. I have even been told SPD is required due to new legislation changes coming but I'm not sure if a Crabtree Starbreaker SPD will fit my unit. Will need to check.

SPDs are relatively speaking recent but the general consensus it would in their absence warrant a Code 3. The same would apply for a combustible consumer unit cover.

Irritates me when I hear the DB must be metal as mentioned previously, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of plastic DBs in the country, these complied with regs when fitted so why is the so called spark insisting it is changed to comply? comply with what, todays regs? if we all had to comply with todays regs all these DBs would need changing and thats not going to happen.

Replace the left side of the board with RCBOs and thats it, get another spark, one who speaks English and one who isn't trying to rape your bank account.

#33, you say you are renting this property?

What is the landlord doing about it? Why are you doing the donkey work looking for an electrician?

The electricians on websites such as those always seem desperate for work…. So touting for work that strictly doesn’t need done is commonplace.

If it does go ahead, you can get some aesthetically pleasing consumer units that look fine…. Even sitting out on surface of wall.

Reply to RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net