Discuss RCD protection upstream?… in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electreacle

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Evening everyone…
I’ve attached pictures for your leisure.. so basically the customer does not have any RCD protection.. 3036 fuseboard is in situ..
they want an outside socket.. I’ve told them that I can’t install one as there’s no RCD.. they’re asking if there’s any alternative ways safely around this as they can’t fork out for a new DB.. the socket on the interior.. if I was to change this to an RCD socket faceplate.. could I then Spur off this to an outside socket? This would mean the socket downstream is RCD protected right?

Attachments

• fa4c586e-693e-4e33-ba85-9ce3b2b3f3b7.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 90b45717-62c9-4822-aaa2-6ac067481124.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 22
  • b39fdbcd-9124-4452-961b-a72e0c390ee2.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 21
Electric showers with no rcd make me shudder since seeing the state immersion elements can get in with no rcd 😳 rcd socket outside may get you out of a muddle if you want the job and if your going straight through, I'd probably stick a bit of conduit through the cavity to give the t/e a teeny bit more protection too.

Check supply earthing before you touch it. Not clear photo but I’d check it isn’t TT with no fault protection.

While fitting an RCD socket ticks the additional protection box, the cable can need RCD protection too for impact protection.
I don’t like doing this but a a surface box RCD spur inside covers the cable, the socket and the load.

Electric showers with no rcd make me shudder since seeing the state immersion elements can get in with no rcd 😳 rcd socket outside may get you out of a muddle if you want the job and if your going straight through, I'd probably stick a bit of conduit through the cavity to give the t/e a teeny bit more protection too.

I seem to find two types of installation in older houses in which electric showers have been added: those with shower fed from an MCB without RCD protection and those fed from an RCCB with no other means of protection back to the cutout.

Edit: Just realised this isn't the thread I thought it was 😂

Last edited:

Reply to RCD protection upstream?… in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net