Currently reading:
**Show Us Your Installs!!!**

Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Right chaps,

Due to a few unavoidable issues, we have lost the original thread and pics etc.

Sorry about that!!!

So, if you want to re-upload your pics then great, if not, give us something new!

Cheers!!

Yes in ducting all selv. What's the problem with that?

What about the ones marked up 230v ???
Can i ask why you chose SY ... its often misused and incorrectly installed and over the last 5yrs ive ripped out so much of this crap.. its design as a control cable the braid is a screening and is not mechanical protection, the outer clear sheath is unsuitable for outdoor use and whenever its is utilised as a power cable for LV the braiding should be earthed but a must is that it isn't used for earth.... not saying you have done any of this but interested to why this cable was chosen as i cant see any benefits with using it?

The 230v is for a commando socket below. Sy was chosen because the control side requires a screened cable with multi cores that is flexible enough to connect to the lights. sy seemed the best choice. All cables are glanded correctly with the braiding and no just using stuffing glands. What makes sy cable unsuitable for outdoor use.?

Just to add to that, the manufacturer of this cable states it should not be connected to mains voltage.

This is not entirely true ... the suppliers i know specify it shouldn't be used as a power supply cable as in tails or similar but it can be used to carry voltages up to its rating which means supplying motors like I use it for from inverters (400v 3ph) with screening to comply with relevant EU regulations...

Its misuse is the over promotion of wholesalers selling it as a rough service cable which it is not as it ends up been used for extensions etc which is totally unsuitable for ... ive had 3 accounts of people getting shocks of unearthed or corroded braiding because of a tack, nail metal bur etc piercing the live only making the braiding live!

I just seen a factory with all its machine supplies wired in sy with taped off screening and to say its been wired by an Electrician does make me wonder how this stuff has found its way to been utilised so many times for the wrong purposes...

Again it can be used with LV but you need to know its limitations and ensure its not used as a alternative to an extension or frequently flexing cable.

I totally agree DW, this is a quote from the manufacturer (It's changed wording slightly since the last time I looked)

SY Cables are not suitable for direct connection to the public mains.

This is not entirely true ... the suppliers i know specify it shouldn't be used as a power supply cable as in tails or similar but it can be used to carry voltages up to its rating which means supplying motors like I use it for from inverters (400v 3ph) with screening to comply with relevant EU regulations...

Its misuse is the over promotion of wholesalers selling it as a rough service cable which it is not as it ends up been used for extensions etc which is totally unsuitable for ... ive had 3 accounts of people getting shocks of unearthed or corroded braiding because of a tack, nail metal bur etc piercing the live only making the braiding live!

I just seen a factory with all its machine supplies wired in sy with taped off screening and to say its been wired by an Electrician does make me wonder how this stuff has found its way to been utilised so many times for the wrong purposes...

Again it can be used with LV but you need to know its limitations and ensure its not used as a alternative to an extension or frequently flexing cable.

We use a lot of sy but if its not protected e.g in trunking.

We tend to use swa if not

The 230v is for a commando socket below. Sy was chosen because the control side requires a screened cable with multi cores that is flexible enough to connect to the lights. sy seemed the best choice. All cables are glanded correctly with the braiding and no just using stuffing glands. What makes sy cable unsuitable for outdoor use.?

Just curious ... good confident answer!... makes a change to see someone using it correctly.

Thanks darkwood. Just out of curiosity as I assume you work on the control side is there a more suitable cable you would of used? Just thinking about next time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389898974261.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 360
If the SY is not 100% shielded from the sun then you should look towards another cable with UV protection attributes ..the outer sheath is so designed on purpose mainly for machine use and similar control needs as it is see through and any degradation of the shielding/braid can be easily inspected.

Because the sheath is clear it lacks a lot of attributes found in most cable sheaths and even the ones it gives like moderate acid and oil resistance only apply at room temp' and can't be guaranteed when subject it to temp extremes... How its use has been catapulted into this fits all solution when it is clearly unsuitable for most purposes the average Joe spark utilises it for...

Pop onto RS Components web site and you'll find many better suited to your needs that don't have the limitations SY does although RS's downfall is it doesn't cut to length so Scatts maybe a better option .. the problem is most general wholesalers don't stock any other shielded cables so i assume this is a reason for its explosion into the scene of misuse as SY was promoted as a suits all cable with added mechanical protection ...a lot of uses took this as a open door for blindly misusing it.

The problem with screened cable is the expense of suitable glands but as SY has flooded the market it has seen a budget gland enter the market that is affordable.... if you venture for more suitable alternative expect the reality check of expensive glands to enter the arena again.

Spent £50 on a panel receptical and Free-plug with extended screen clamp other day - extortionate just to connect a cable to a panel :O/

Last edited:
If the SY is not 100% shielded from the sun then you should look towards another cable with UV protection attributes ..the outer sheath is so designed on purpose mainly for machine use and similar control needs as it is see through and any degradation of the shielding/braid can be easily inspected.

Because the sheath is clear it lacks a lot of attributes found in most cable sheaths and even the ones it gives like moderate acid and oil resistance only apply at room temp' and can't be guaranteed when subject it to temp extremes... How its use has been catapulted into this fits all solution when it is clearly unsuitable for most purposes the average Joe spark utilises it for...

Pop onto RS Components web site and you'll find many better suited to your needs that don't have the limitations SY does although RS's downfall is it doesn't cut to length so Scatts maybe a better option .. the problem is most general wholesalers don't stock any other shielded cables so i assume this is a reason for its explosion into the scene of misuse as SY was promoted as a suits all cable with added mechanical protection ...a lot of uses took this as a open door for blindly misusing it.

The problem with screened cable is the expense of suitable glands but as SY has flooded the market it has seen a budget gland enter the market that is affordable.... if you venture for more suitable alternative expect the reality check of expensive glands to enter the arena again.

Spent £50 on a panel receptical and Free-plug with extended screen clamp other day - extortionate just to connect a cable to a panel :O/

Surely if it's underground in ducting then sunlight isn't a problem. Daz

The beacon comes pre-wired but it goes through a bushed entry,thanks.

Shame there is no bushed entry into the beacon. Listen, we have several of these pre wired beacons in our plant rooms etc, ...all have been provided with rigid or flexible conduit containment. NONE have been left with the wiring left swinging around in free air, without protection....

As for the unistrut being used as containment, do me a favour!! Any industrial Engineer worth his sort, would be screaming at you for that installation to be provided with a bona fide containment system....

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back