Search the forum,

Discuss What qualifications? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nealhibbert

Hi all,

I passed my City and Guilds over 30 years ago now, I obtained by 'A' and 'B' certificate and worked for about 7 years, mainly on construction sites. I changed my career and after 30 years and ended up as an Electrician I have now retired from my previous employment. I went back to college last year and got my 17th Edition and also the Electrical safety Certificate. I am still registered with the JIB as an Electrician (although not 'approved')

Now I am looking for some work, I could become an electricians mate? I could go back to college and get all the other qualifications that I need to become a 'stand alone' electrician. It's a bloody minefield, so many courses to take I have not a clue.

So any advice will be greatly appreciated. I really do not mind being a 'mate', but also I would like to get as many qualifications as I can.

Cheers in advance.

You have far more qualifications than some IMO, if I were you I'd apply to the JIB and get your JIB/ECS card and then you should take it from there, if the Electrical Trainee can earn a living, employers should be crying out for your skills.

you really want to go back to slogging as a mate in what i assume is your late 40's - 50's ?

you really want to re-learn all the new fangled regulations , technologies , and jargon ?

fancy sitting exams again decades after being in a class room ?

you get the point......

although your original training is held in high regard , 30 years is far too long quite frankly to be thinking of jumping bck into electrical again , against lads half your age who'll work twice the hours for half the money.
as a grown up im sure you'll appreciate my directness.

Absolutely and I can see what competition there is out there. As I say I really don't mind working as a mate, but there is also that personal goal of achieving the best you can. I hate classrooms lol. I am 54 BTW so I don't think many people want someone that age working for them, even with equal ops and all that. I was blown away attending college for the 17th, jeeeez, but I managed to get it. Will give the JIB a buzz and see what the score is. Thanks lads, appreciated.

youll need to take the ECS elf & safety assessment before the jib will give you any card.

around £50 a pop at venues around the UK.

youll need to take the ECS elf & safety assessment before the jib will give you any card.

around £50 a pop at venues around the UK.
outside burger bars...

Elfin Around - McDonalds Run.jpg

the one on the right looks like you, glenn. who's the one on the left?

Reply to What qualifications? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net