Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

there's a picture somewhere on the internet of a drill coming through a wall, through the back of a wardrobe, through a guitar case withing the wardrobe and into the actual guitar which was in the case at the time.

or was that a dream?

Quite impressed that people are already checking out tomorrow's forum messages:

Screenshot_20230926_115634_Chrome.jpg

Had to take over a job from someone else the other day, didn't want to but the client gives us tonnes of work and this was his own house. The other spark is no longer on the scene and I've already been to one of his jobs that had an earth fault so he just disconnected the cpc's out of the circuit to get over it.

So my first port of call was the consumer unit - BG dual RCD, 2 circuits connected down ring and up ring, sockets 2nd fixed and live and some lights 2nd fixed but not powered yet. First test was see if they were rings, neither were. After a bit of investigating, found this in the utility.

IMG_20230921_131646_659.jpg

Thats why that circuits not a ring then, live ends. Onto the upstairs sockets and quickly found this.

IMG_20230921_113639_900.jpg

That was after my temp fix, was the same as the utility before I touched it. 3rd cable was a spur to a socket on the floor below that wasn't working.

I also found this that was live. Not touched anything, that's how I came across it.

IMG_20230921_113444_145.jpg

So apart from the various death traps the place also looked like this.

IMG_20230921_113738_367.jpg

IMG_20230921_113711_488.jpg

IMG_20230921_113706_772.jpg

not unique to this job but why do so many sparks have to cut and patch so much plaster work after its all been done, apparently he forgot to fit loads of stuff that the client had asked for.

Could be double insulated cable inside, if so, do you think there is a requirement for the pipe to be bonded?

Could be double insulated cable inside, if so, do you think there is a requirement for the pipe to be bonded?
It would be single isolated inside the switch.
Back box/switch would be classed as an exposed conductive part.

I wouldn't have thought it is a requirement if the cable is double insulated and the run has no sharp edges.

Last edited:
It would be single isolated inside the switch.
Back box/switch would be classed as an exposed conductive part.
But i was assuming the box was attached to the cpc.
do you think there is a need to bond the pipe, assuming the cable comes into the box double insulated?

Personally i was thinking if the flex was secured inside the back box with a cable clamp then the tube need not be bonded, if it is free to move then i think the tube should be bonded.
but I am open to peoples suggestions.

But i was assuming the box was attached to the cpc.
do you think there is a need to bond the pipe, assuming the cable comes into the box double insulated?

Personally i was thinking if the flex was secured inside the back box with a cable clamp then the tube need not be bonded, if it is free to move then i think the tube should be bonded.
but I am open to peoples suggestions.
I say yes no difference from a class l light fitting

Last edited:
Very different from a class 1 light fitting.

It looks like there is an insulated and sheathed cable inside the pipe so there would be no need to earth it, it would be no different to a cable tray or basket in that respect.
And that sheathed cable is connected to a metal clad FCU which is connected to the copper pipe so makes it an accessory point. 411.3.1.1 states this very clearly

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock