Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Was asked to fit this new consumer unit in a static mobile home, bought from Fleabay.
I refused.
IMG_2004.jpg

Not electrical but not sure how somebody managed this with a giant placard above it…

View attachment 110144
FFS !
It took me a while to work out just what I was looking at. But once I'd worked that out, that's shocking workmanship on an aircraft. And the reason for the specific notice ? I'd guess they've had incidents in the past when a control cable has become slack and got caught round the clamp bolt - not something that's going to make life boring for those on board.

But then, I've read/heard of worse maintenance issues in aviation.

Was asked to fit this new consumer unit in a static mobile home, bought from Fleabay.
I refused.
View attachment 110199
Tests carried out on these units on behalf of Leicestershire Trading Standards revealed safety concerns. The Residual Current Device melted rather than cutting power, some of the Miniature Circuit Breakers failed to trip, and parts of the circuit remained live even with the main power switch turned off.

FFS !
It took me a while to work out just what I was looking at. But once I'd worked that out, that's shocking workmanship on an aircraft. And the reason for the specific notice ? I'd guess they've had incidents in the past when a control cable has become slack and got caught round the clamp bolt - not something that's going to make life boring for those on board.

But then, I've read/heard of worse maintenance issues in aviation.
Yeah if the bolt for the band clamp is sticking up then when the aircraft is flying and you get slack in the cable then it can chafe on the bolt.

But yeah I’ve seen much worse people using the wrong grease on the landing gear so risk of fire as temp rating isn’t enough for the brakes. Another one somebody had crimped the socket end of crimp then shoved the end that is meant to be crimped into the connector

And this one from not to long ago where the main cable from the engine generator had been run on finger tight on phase A so it got so hot it melted out the lug

PXL_20230107_195431969_Original.jpeg

And this one from not to long ago where the main cable from the engine generator had been run on finger tight on phase A so it got so hot it melted out the lug
Years ago I used to own a share of a Piper Warrior (160hp, 4cyl single engine). We had problems with the alternator tripping off - assumed to be the over-voltage trip* operating. After months of "we'll try ..." from the so called engineers, I called them up and said "I'm coming down, I'm going to strip, clean, and reassemble all the connections in the battery and charging circuit"** - note, not a "can I" but an "I am". Of course, they started with all the "we'll have to check your work" (I said "fine"), etc., etc. reasons why I shouldn't. When I arrived, they said "can you take it for a test flight, we think we've found the problem" - I did, and they had.
I was 'kin livid, and had it been down to me I'd have made quite a stink about it. There was a bad crimp on the alternator field connection - when it was high resistance, the regulator would crank up the field voltage to compensate, then when it went low resistance, it would cause a higher than needed field current which would trip the over-voltage protection before the regulator could turn the field down. It had been crimped with a pair of pliers, or one of those plier type crimping tools - cut connector in half, found flat oval cross section rather than squeezed down to a gas tight connection. The tell-tale was about an inch of the white insulation was grey. And for good measure, one of the mechanics innocently commented that he'd noticed that when replacing the alternator during one of their previous "we'll try ..." steps.
I don't know how much it cost us in parts and labour - for one bad crimp that one of their own engineers had noticed some time before this came to a head.

* Typically on these small aircraft, there is both a voltage regulator that controls the field current to maintain a constant battery/bus voltage, and an over-voltage trip that cuts the alternator field if the voltage goes above a certain threshold (to prevent a disconnected battery from frying all the electronics). Sometimes they are separate units, more typically both functions in one module.
Also, unlike cars, the alternator is not self-exiting - it's field comes from the battery/DC bus via a switch and an external regulator.

** I'd been asking friends and been advised that a common reason for this problem was a bad connection that caused intermittent connection, and hence intermittent alternator issues.

Yeah I’ve heard that general aviation has a lot of DIY daves.
These weren't DIY Daves, these were supposedly professional "engineers" who certainly knew how to charge for their time !
It would have been nice to be allowed to do some of it DIY - we'd have made sure we did a better job.
The planes I work on are slightly larger.
Just a tad. Mind you, I've heard a few tales from that size of the business ...

And not just the Engineers, I was present when the Engineer signed over the World Aerobatic champions Pitts to the pilot, but emphasised that after the service ( he was at lunch) he had not filled the oil tank, said champion said OK no problem I will do it before I take off, he duly taxied to the end of the field and as is his wont took off and went inverted, the oil drained out as he forgot to put the cap on, give him his due, he Chandelled the Pitts landed down wind and used the momentum left to taxi onto the apron, he did not come into the club house, just got in his car and left.

These weren't DIY Daves, these were supposedly professional "engineers" who certainly knew how to charge for their time !
It would have been nice to be allowed to do some of it DIY - we'd have made sure we did a better job.

Just a tad. Mind you, I've heard a few tales from that size of the business ...
smaller issues are often unreported for small private aircraft, the bigger ones it is harder to hide when you put the wrong size screws in the windscreen!
British-Airways-Flight-5390--759x500.jpg

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock