Discuss Mig welding and cable run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hanson

DIY
Reaction score
Some advise or views would be appreciated.

My supply is 100 amp single phase.

I purchased my property 3 years ago or so, the owner prior to the couple I purchased it from had installed a single external 32 amp socket near to the kitchen back door.

The cable to this socket is easy enough to trace, it runs externally from the 32amp socket in 25mm conduit vertically just over 2,5m into the property then under floorboards, ( no conduit ), where I can trace the cable to a 32amp MCB directly from the CU.

EDIT This socket is a blue 32amp socket.

The cable size is 6mm, the total cable run length from the socket to the CU is about 13m.

I now have to embark on learning a new skill, Mig Welding.

My front garden is 50m L x 26m W.

I have to do some running repairs and add to an existing metal palisade fencing some of which is at the furthest reach of the garden.

Having done some extensive reading and viewing I should think a simple 150 amp inverter Mig will do.

I have been able to get hold of 53mt of 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² cable.

My intention is to attach a 32 amp plug to one end of the cable, a single 32 amp socket to the other end, remove any existing fused plug top attached to a new Mig and fit a 32 amp plug instead.

Will I be able to use a 150 amp rated Mig off the existing 32 amp socket in conjunction with the 50 odd metres of 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² cable I have?

Last edited:
32A sockets, assuming it is one of the blue ones are not suitable for installation in dwellings.

150A MIGs I have used in the past have had 13A plugs.
Only when going to 160-180 have they needed 16A plugs.
I have seen 180A ones on 13A plugs but as soon as you get near the top end of the Amps scale it will blow the 13A fuse.
Check your welder as it will say what the input amps are a d then you can decide which plug is appropriate.

150A MIGs I have used in the past have had 13A plugs.
Only when going to 160-180 have they needed 16A plugs.
I have seen 180A ones on 13A plugs but as soon as you get near the top end of the Amps scale it will blow the 13A fuse.
Check your welder as it will say what the input amps are a d then you can decide which plug is appropriate.
Thanks for the reply.

Almost all the 150amp or lower Mig welders I have seen come with 13a plug tops but it seems to me so light weight and the plug tops are likely to get very hot even if welder is used in short bursts.

But the manufactures are the experts and they fit these 13a plug tops

So the question remains using 50m of 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² cable, essentially a very long extension lead, am I ok to run a 150amp Mig without the risk of tripping MCBs or blowing the main 100amp fuse using the existing external 32 amp socket?

Thanks for the reply.

Almost all the 150amp or lower Mig welders I have seen come with 13a plug tops but it seems to me so light weight and the plug tops are likely to get very hot even if welder is used in short bursts.

But the manufactures are the experts and they fit these 13a plug tops

So the question remains using 50m of 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² cable, essentially a very long extension lead, am I ok to run a 150amp Mig without the risk of tripping MCBs or blowing the main 100amp fuse using the existing external 32 amp socket?
No way it will trip 32A MCB or the 100A fuse presuming the 32A is covered by 32A MCB

For any outdoor socket you should have RCD protection, that way you still should have shock protection & ADS.

For 32A and 50m extension a quick check is saying 10mm, for 13A it is suggesting 4mm. Generally that won't fit a typical 13A plug/socket but a metal-clad socket and IP68 gland, plus 32A plug, could make up such a lead.

Tested of course...

Last edited:
For any outdoor socket you should have RCD protection, that way you still should have shock protection & ADS.

For 32A and 50m extension a quick check is saying 10mm, for 13A it is suggesting 4mm. Generally that won't fit a typical 13A plug/socket but a metal-clad socket and IP68 gland, plus 32A plug, could make up such a lead.

Tested of course...
Thank you, BIB that's easy enough to resolve, have the existing 32amp socket changed to one with RCD protection.

Not making sense of your last part.

Are you saying the 50m extension cable needs to be 10mm in size instead of the 3 Core HO7RNF 2.5mm² cable I intended to use or are you saying the existing 6mm cable from the CU to the new 32amp RCD socket should be run in 10mm T&E cable?

To meet 5% voltage drop at 32A you need 10mm, for a more realistic 13A load it is 4mm.

There are three sizing requirements for cables:
  • Current carrying capacity (CCC) to avoid overheating
  • Voltage drop (VD) so end loads are operating within expected tolerance
  • Earth fault impedance (Zs) to make sure Automatic disconnection of Supply (ADS) is met sufficiently fast depending on the circuit protection (fuse/MCB, use of RCD)

To meet 5% voltage drop at 32A you need 10mm, for a more realistic 13A load it is 4mm.

There are three sizing requirements for cables:
  • Current carrying capacity (CCC) to avoid overheating
  • Voltage drop (VD) so end loads are operating within expected tolerance
  • Earth fault impedance (Zs) to make sure Automatic disconnection of Supply (ADS) is met sufficiently fast depending on the circuit protection (fuse/MCB, use of RCD)
Thank you

As the new Mig will be rated up to 150amp, if the existing external socket is changed to a 16 amp RCD protected socket and the existing MCB is changed to a 16amp rating would this help me when it comes to the size and length of the extension lead?

It is not permitted to have unshuttered socket outlets in a dwelling both 16 and 32A fall into this category.
Does the welder come with a fitted 13A plug?

It is not permitted to have unshuttered socket outlets in a dwelling both 16 and 32A fall into this category.
Would that also apply to those outlets with an interlocked switch? I.e. where the contacts cannot be live without the appropriate plug being inserted to allow the switch to be turned to the on position.

If fitted with interlocks then no problem. It's also back to that classic argument of where does a 'dwelling' end - I've both 16 & 32's in my workshop, at home.

If fitted with interlocks then no problem. It's also back to that classic argument of where does a 'dwelling' end - I've both 16 & 32's in my workshop, at home.
My existing external 32amp socket will be replaced with one with RCD protection.

As @westward 10 says it is not permissible to fit an unshutterd socket in a dwelling, I didn't think it possible to buy an unshuttered version for domestic use for inside a property, I've never seen one.

Does the 16 or 32amp external type require an interlock switch?

I have no garage or work shed at the moment but working, using a very large, exposed concrete patio area.

If you are using a welder with 13A plug then a 13A extension lead is practical. You could make one with 2.5mm which is about as much that will squees in to decent 13A plugs & in-line sockets and a quick check says it is OK for VD at 40m length.

Or maybe better, put in a couple of fixed weatherproof sockets around the area so you are never more than 15m from one when you need it! That way 6mm cable could be used, but it has to be UV proof so not T&E !!! (Unless in conduit/trunking)

Reply to Mig welding and cable run. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net