Discuss Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

We have this thread on TilersForums.com and it's just been restarted because the old thread had 20,000 replies and 500,000 views. And there were 700 pages. Started to lag a bit on slow connections.

I think we had a bash of this before, but I can't find the thread, so thought I'd start another one off.

If you have time in the mornings, come post in the thread before you head off to work, let us know what you've got on and what the weather is like in your area etc. Anything at all is fine. :)

Posts and likes get counted towards your total stats in this thread.

So GOOOD MORNING PEOPLE - WEATHER IS NICE TODAY IN STOKE. I'M THANKFUL IT'S FRIDAY, HAD A RUBBISH WEEK. THANK GOD IT'S OVER.

View attachment 53708

Last edited:
Currently sitting in the van tucking into chocolate snacks after giving blood.
No fainting daughter this time, she’s back at uni.

This mornings job was to change the supply for lights in a bathroom from a rodent damaged cable onto a fused spur from rfc. Which also covered putting a fuse in for a replacement extractor fan. Saved a lot of furniture moving and carpet lifting to cut out the old cable.

Before that, early wake up thanks to some school prank.

My youngest came back from school yesterday with someone else’s phone in her bag. Turns out someone in her class decided it would be fun to steal another girls phone and plant it in my daughters bag.
Only chance they had was during PE, when the bags were unattended…. So she has a good idea which group of girls it was.

She spent all afternoon oblivious to this, but knowing this other girl had lost her phone…. Who was now frantic.
When she got home and realised, she messaged the girl and told her she had the phone.

6 o’clock this morning… this phone decided to wake up the house due to the alarm clock….
Then again at 6:15, 6:30, 6:45…… every 15 minutes until half 7.

Teenage girls can be horrible sometimes.

Note to self.

When drilling a fixing hole into pvc conduit box.... Do it on the floor, on a piece of wood, holding it steady with your size tens.
Do not just try and hold it in your hand and brace against your leg while you're kneeling down.

Yes, ladies and gents. I drilled into my own leg.

at least you would have had a suitable size screw to plug the hole with!!

Note to self.

When drilling a fixing hole into pvc conduit box.... Do it on the floor, on a piece of wood, holding it steady with your size tens.
Do not just try and hold it in your hand and brace against your leg while you're kneeling down.

We wear boots for clamping anything that needs drilling.

Note to self.

I have always drilled a fixing hole in any type of conduit box, however was watching a YT electrician and he states its not necessary as its supported by the conduit saddles etc.
I don't know anybody that relies on that method.

I have always drilled a fixing hole in any type of conduit box, however was watching a YT electrician and he states its not necessary as its supported by the conduit saddles etc.
I don't know anybody that relies on that method.
There are moulded dips in a conduit box which invites being drilled through… so I think it needs to be done.

Next you’ll be saying everything needs to be glued together. 😂

The only conduit boxes I have fixed in place with a screw inside the actual box are some terminal, angle or through boxes that are fitted with a cable gland for a flexible going to a fitting or appliance. All others have been supported by adjacent saddle clips.
Two good reasons are that a metal screw compromises the !P rating of the box, especially against water ingress, and there are often live joints inside a PVC box, creating the risk of a short to the metal screw head.

The only conduit boxes I have fixed in place with a screw inside the actual box are some terminal, angle or through boxes that are fitted with a cable gland for a flexible going to a fitting or appliance. All others have been supported by adjacent saddle clips.
Two good reasons are that a metal screw compromises the !P rating of the box, especially against water ingress, and there are often live joints inside a PVC box, creating the risk of a short to the metal screw head.
So you would happily have a bank of fluorescent fittings on two foot centres (could be on jack chains) only being supported by the saddles. NOT ME

My OP was specifically PVC conduit boxes, and drilling them. I suppose it might be different whether I fix the box itself if it were metal, needed a high IP level and had nothing hanging from it.

Most batten light fittings come pre drilled (or pre marked for drilling) to fit on 2 boxes.

That’s it! The world has now officially gone down the pan!

Brexit, covid, Ukraine….that’s nothing.

It has been announced this morning that….
Bounty’s have been omitted from this years boxes of Celebrations.

Shock and horror!

And it’s not down to coconut shortages or anything… it’s only because they say 39% of people don’t like them.

I’ll have theirs, then!

Are they phasing them out quietly? Oh nooo!
“Limited edition” emblazoned across the box lids….
They’re using it as a marketing ploy,

Well, jokes on them. I demand we all boycott celebrations!

Unless the start making boxes with ONLY bounty’s in them.

Reply to Good Morning Thread - Come say good morning, tell us what you've got on today. :) in the The Electrical Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net